Learning Resource on Modern Slavery for Global Youth
Modern Slavery is an epidemic that demands international attention. According to the United Nations, it is the world’s fastest-growing crime – generating about $150 billion a year in illegal profits.
In practical terms, modern slavery encompasses these horrific practices:
- Domestic Servitude
- Bonded Labour or Debt Bondage
- Forced Labour
- Child Labour
- Sex Trafficking
- Unlawful Recruitment and Use of Child Soldiers
- Forced Marriage
- Organ Trafficking
Combining all of these forms of modern slavery, it is estimated that 40.3 million people are enslaved today. Individuals who think they have never exploited anyone may be surprised to learn that they, too, have a slavery footprint. (You can read more about this in Libertas.)
Since 2010, the YouCanFreeUs Foundation has been privileged to help some of these victims find freedom through rescue and rehabilitation, advocacy and education. Through the introduction of Libertas, which is the Latin word for ‘freedom,’ YouCanFreeUs hopes to educate young people, their parents, instructors and youth workers about modern slavery. “Young people can be empowered with deep knowledge and understanding of this topic, influencing their peers and becoming world changers,” said Sujo John, YouCanFreeUs founder.
The interactive chapters in this book are designed to equip young people all over the world with important facts and tools, guard them against becoming victims and encourage them to take a stand
- INDUSTRIES where modern-day slavery abound.
- A look at how various COUNTRIES stack up, have made progress and/or need to make changes.
- Characteristics of a PREDATOR.
- Characteristics of a vulnerable TARGET.
- PRECAUTIONS to take with technology, including apps to avoid.
- The link between PORNOGRAPHY and SEX SLAVERY.
- Charts showing which GOODS rely heavily on child labour or forced labour – and which countries are the biggest culprits.
- Tips on companies and organizations that stand behind SLAVE-FREE LABOUR.
- Inspirational STORIES from women around the globe who are no longer victims.
- Examples of students and programs that have helped save lives and create AWARENESS.
- INTERVIEWS with individuals who are passionate about abolishing modern slavery.
- A list of ways in which young people can take ACTION.
Prevention and education are the keys to ending modern slavery. It is our hope that every reader will benefit from Libertas and be moved to share it with friends.
As Robert F. Kennedy said, “Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.”
Current studies reveal that Gen Z is the ‘social justice generation.’ Unless today’s youth are armed with the facts, however, they are powerless to make a difference. Through Libertas, young people will be equipped to successfully engage in this fight for freedom.